BBQ Cook Off
Judging starts at 11:30 a.m. for Optional Open Side and 12 p.m. for Ribs. (Samples sold to public after judging is complete). Teams will be required to present taste testing to the public after turn-in.
1st place: $260 and plaque
2nd place: $160 and plaque
3rd place: $60 and plaque
- Entry forms for the cook off are available by clicking the button above. The entry fees are as follows: Ribs $60.00 (4 slabs provided) and optional open side $10.00 – cooked on site. Applications must be received by 10 am on June 5th, 2018.
- All contestants must be at least 18 years of age.
- There will be an early cooks meeting 5 p.m. Saturday, June 2nd, 2018 at the Beverage Garden at the Greene County Fair Grounds. Spaces will be assigned.
- The Greene County Fair is not responsible for theft, damage of personal property, or injury to any contestants, or to any contestant’s family members or guests.
- Grilling equipment must be charcoal or wood fueled (pellet and electric drive are allowed). No gas or propane allowed.
- No holes or dug pits are permitted. Fire extinguishers must be provided by cookers.
- Each cook-off team is responsible for keeping the contest area clean and policed before leaving. Trash bags will be provided. If additional bags are needed, ask.
- Unacceptable conduct will be grounds of disqualification, forfeiture of awards, and removal from the festival. Greene County Fair Officials ruling on this is absolute and final.
- Each Team must provide cooking devices (including grill), utensils, fire extinguisher, shade, preparation table, and rubber gloves. Availability of electricity is very limited. Clean-up facilities will not be provided. Please leave you competition space as you found it.
- Teams competing in the BBQ Categories will be provided with an area approximately 12′x 12′. If more space is needed the Sponsor will accommodate as space allows but it is the head cooks responsibility to keep all tents, tables, grills etc in the designated space provided. The Greene County Fair cannot be held responsible for damage or loss of any personal item(s). NO PETS!
- Teams must provide their own cleaning area for wash, rinse, and sanitation per public health department standards. Water will be provided.
- Teams may begin prepping and cooking at anytime they see fit after rib hand-out time at 7 a.m.
- Teams may not sell any food items and no to-go plates will be allowed. Teams are allowed to cook any other items that they bring themselves, but cannot sell these items.
- All cook off areas must be cleaned and vacated by (To Be Determined).
- Each team must comply with all applicable rules and regulations of the Illinois Health Department and local, city and county health departments, including, but not limited to the following:
- Meat must be kept at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or less before cooking.
- After cooking, the meat must be maintained at 140 degrees in a covered container or in foil. Product will be judged at the time indicated on the schedule.
- Cleanliness of the cook, assistants and contest area is required. No tobacco products allowed in preparation/cook area.
- Samples will be given to judges only. Samples may not be distributed to the crowd.
- All contestants must supply a fire extinguisher and keep it near the cooking area.
- No Garnish.
- All alcohol must be purchased from the Greene County Fair.
- All meats provided to be turned into Cook-off officials for judging and distribution to the public. Sample boxes must have a minimum of 6 servings.
Fax or email completed entry forms to: ATTN Tiffany Dowland or email@example.com